Went to do some thesis-writing with my thesis crew, and I made some tasty gluten-free muffins (because one of our members is gluten-free, and also…why not have gluten-free muffins?)
Originally inspired by this recipe with my own special edits.
Gluten-Free Apple Oat Muffins
2 c oat flour (you can buy or just put oats in a food processor)
2 tsp baking powder (make sure it’s gluten-free)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (plus extra for cinnamon-sugar topping)
1/4 c maple syrup (I added extra bc I had really bland apples)
1/2 c 100% apple juice (I used Red Jacket’s apple cranberry)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c vegetable oil (other oils would probably work too?)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c oats
1 c shredded apple (with a cheese grater, shred approx 1 apple, with skin)
cinnamon-sugar mix for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease your muffin pan
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together your oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon so that they’re all mixed up and create a well in the center.
3. In another bowl, mix together eggs, buttermilk, apple juice, oil, and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until jussstttt combined.
5. Fold in apple & oats.
6. Fill muffin pans 3/4 full (I did a little less and the muffins really don’t raise very much, so they were quite flat muffins, so make sure your 3/4 is not skimpy).
7. Bake 16 mins in the oven. Take them out, put cinnamon sugar on top, and let cool for a few mins (to get them out of the pan, let them st for a minute and then run a butter knife along the edges of each muffin to loosen it from the cup and then flip it on its side to give it room to breathe.
8. Consume :)
White Strawberry Lemon Sangria
Ingredients & Measurements:
- 2 Lemons (Sliced Thinly)
- 1 Apple (Sliced)
- 1 cup Strawberries (Sliced)
- 750 ml bottle of White Wine
- 1/2 cup White Rum
- 4 cups Sprite
Add lemon slices to a large pitcher, then the apples, then the strawberries. Pour the wine and rum over the top. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 hours. Remove from refrigerator and add the Sprite. Add a few pieces of the fruit to your glass and pour sangria over to serve.
Vegan Colorful Snack Round Up
Vegan Cheesecake Round Up
Kristen Kish, who rose to fame after winning Top Chef Season 10 (Seattle, which was the best Top Chef in my opinion) has just declared her girlfriend on Instagram! Yep, it’s confirmed: Kristen Kish is dating Jacqueline Westbrook, Assistant to the Editor-In-Chief of FOOD + WINE Magazine. Kish posted earlier today:
The caption reads: “Helicopter ride over Charleston. Happy 1 year love. You’ve made…
Wait, did you guys not know she was queer? Because I’m pretty sure she mentions it on the show? But anyways, it’s cute that she has a girlfriend even if it’s not me :(
The attempts to create a utopian safe space are actually creating a community of entitled victims. Yet this environment helps sustain the community. The users keep returning to air grievances and seek authenticity. One of the more popular tags in this community is “self-care.” The phrase “self-care” derives a quote attributed to the African-American lesbian poet Audre Lorde: “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” However, on Tumblr, this act of “political warfare” manifests itself as semi-nude camera-phone pictures of the users followed by captions about accepting one’s self as beautiful. Pictures of over-indulgent foods, such as cupcakes, are also popular forms of self-care.
Bell, Lenore. “Trigger Warnings: Sex, Lies, and Social Justice Utopia on Tumblr.” Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association. 6, 1. (2013): 31-47. http://ojs.meccsa.org.uk/index.php/netknow/article/view/296/13
I’m really interested in folks’ reactions to the quote I took from this article. I ran across the article while doing research from my thesis and would would love to see replies/reblogs with responses.
TW if you are going to read the entire article: A large portion of the article focuses on Ira Gray and sexual assault.